GRIFFIN BUILDING & SIMEON’S RESTAURANT
The Italianate style building housed a soda and candy shop starting in the 1920s, then was home to a men’s clothing store for 40 years. In 1975 the bar called Simeon’s opened and became a full-service restaurant in 1986. Rebuilding was required after a horrific truck crash in 2014. The renovation maintained most of the original 1871 design with the addition of an elevator and five remodeled, one- and two-bedroom luxury apartments.
Taitem provided mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection design for this historic building at the entrance to the Ithaca Commons. The scope included adding a new elevator to the existing building, a re-work of the sprinkler system, and HVAC using air source heat pumps for heating and cooling.
LOCATION Ithaca, NY
SQUARE FOOTAGE 9,000 SF
PROJECT COST $2 million