BRONX RIVER GREENWAY RIVER HOUSE – NYC PARKS AND RECREATION
Bronx River Greenway River House will house the Bronx River Alliance in a new 7,000 SF building. There will be space for offices, a nature classroom, a multipurpose community room, and a storage space for canoes, kayaks, and other watercraft.
Taitem is providing LEED consulting services for this ambitious brownfield redevelopment project. Located in Starlight Park, the new building features several innovative systems designed to minimize energy use and carbon footprint.
• Rainwater collection. All stormwater will be captured from the roof and used for cleaning, toilet flushing, and applications other than drinking and personal washing.
• Green screen. The building is wrapped on all sides with a green screen, which integrates landscaping and engineering to improve energy performance.
• Daylighting. Building design optimizes use of natural light.
• Ground-source heat pump. The building will use geothermal energy for heating and cooling applications, including radiant floor heating.
• Renewable energy: The goal is to produce 100% of the building’s energy through a 48 kW roof-mounted solar PV system.
The Bronx River House won the 2007 New York City Public Design Commission Design Award.
BUDGET $9 million
ARCHITECT Kiss + Cathcart